| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Cookie Policy

Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to W&P's Health and Social Care Training Forums
Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum W&P Care Training Forums / Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum /

current European and National legislation, national guidelines relevant to pressure area care

Author Tara
Forums Member
#1 | Posted: 14 Jun 2009 17:11
could anyone help with this. Its Nvq 3, unit 358 Question 1.
A factual awareness of the current European and national legislation, national guidelines
and local policies and protocols which effect you work practice relevant to pressure area
care and risk assessment. I have gone completely blank.
Also could anyone answer the next question.
Q5. a working understanding of relevant research that has been undertaken in respect of
risk assessment into pressure area care.

My tutor mentioned something to do with Honey, but i dont think that is what it means.
does anyone know where i can get all this information please. my brain is frazzled.
Author yas
Forums Member
#2 | Posted: 12 Jul 2009 13:25
me too i'm stuck on the same question
Author yas
Forums Member
#3 | Posted: 12 Jul 2009 13:27
hi can anyone please help me i'm stuck on q5 for unit 358 on my nvq 3 the questuon is
a working understanding of relevant research that has been undertaken in respect of
risk assessment into pressure area care
Author nursey27
Forums Member
#4 | Posted: 13 Jul 2009 15:10
Hello Yas and Tara

hope this helps you both

Legislation

The safe guarding of vulnerable adults looks at our responsibility and accountability of keeping people safe and would include risk assessments to identify the skin break down.

The care standards act reinforces the importance of policies and procedures put in place by our organisations to protect the service users and this includes again skin care and prevention of pressure sores.

The social care code of practice also identifies roles and responsibility of the care worker.

Nhs guidelines on wound care, tissue viability is relevant protocols that should be included in our organisations policies and procedures.

Also to take into consideration is:

Manual handling policy
Health and safety act
Control of substance hazardous to health
Human rights act
Service user choice
Confidentiality

Research into various scales

Included research from Internet

After studying through the different types of scales I researched into on the Internet it has become apparent that the waterlow scale is the far better one to use as it has a scoring of 0-8+ points instead of just 4 or 5 points and gives a better reading of any risks identified.

The use of these assessment tools should never replace ongoing observation of the service users, receiving care, skin care or them of a whole.
Author nursey27
Forums Member
#5 | Posted: 13 Jul 2009 15:19
research from royal college of nursing on internet on pressure ulcer risk assessment and prevention
norton scale
gosnell scale
braden scale
waterlow scale

hope these help you

nursey27
Author jetaimemike_29
Forums Member
#6 | Posted: 3 Aug 2010 13:55
Theory and Practice

3. Describe your understanding of the importance of working within your own sphere of competence when undertaking assessment of skin breakdown and seeking advice when faced with situations outside your sphere of competence.. pls help me..
Author Aunty Sue
Forums Member
#7 | Posted: 3 Aug 2010 20:48
Hi jetaimemike 29,

Think what might happen if you don't know what you are doing.

Hope that helps

Aunty Sue
Author jetaimemike_29
Forums Member
#8 | Posted: 18 Sep 2010 18:02
desctribe your understanding of the application of standard precautions to undertaking assessment of risks of skin breakdown and the potential consequences of poor practice
Author Aunty Sue
Forums Member
#9 | Posted: 19 Sep 2010 15:02
Hi jetaimemike 29,

This is about what you do for infection control, eg wash hands, wear gloves, apron etc.

Hope that helps

Aunty Sue
Author SIAN
Forums Member
#10 | Posted: 17 Jan 2011 19:28
could anyone help with this. Its Nvq 3, unit 358 Question 1.
A factual awareness of the current European and national legislation, national guidelines
and local policies and protocols which effect you work practice relevant to pressure area
care and risk assessment. I have gone completely blank.
Also could anyone answer the next question.
Q5. a working understanding of relevant research that has been undertaken in respect of
risk assessment into pressure area care.

My tutor mentioned something to do with Honey, but i dont think that is what it means.
does anyone know where i can get all this information please. my brain is frazzled.
Author Aunty Tracy
Forums Member
#11 | Posted: 29 Nov 2011 15:58
RCN have guidelines on pressure area prevention. NICE also have guidelines on the same. Your own trust will have policies on prevention of pressure ulcers. We use the waterlow assessment tool to aid this assessment. Assessing a patient can be done while giving personal care. If a patient is deemed at risk, -pressure relieving mattresses and/or cushions should be put in place. Reassess the patient regularly or if the patient's condition changes. Nutrition, hygiene, pain control, regular repositioning of the patient and good manual handling techniques are also important.
Author tez123
Forums Member
#12 | Posted: 18 Jan 2013 10:07
Hi.I am confused about legislation's and national guidelines and what the difference is between them and agreed ways of working relating to pressure area care,help
Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum W&P Care Training Forums / Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum / current European and National legislation, national guidelines relevant to pressure area care
Your Reply
BB code for the Bold Style  BB code for the Italic Style  BB Code for the Picture  BB code for the URL     :) ;) :-p :-(   

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.
 Forgot password?