| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Cookie Policy

Follow us on Twitter  Subscribe to W&P's Health and Social Care Training Forums
Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum W&P Care Training Forums / Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum /

Level 3 Unit 3029 Communication

Author jmarkie77
Forums Member
#1 | Posted: 14 Jan 2012 17:08
HELP!!!!! I have got my last section of my Diploma Level 2......which I am seeing my assessor to wrap up in 2 Days....I am doing a couple level 3 Unit for this which this is my last unit.....but I'm stuck on all of it.....I need some websites or information on the mainly first bit :- Understanding specific Communication Needs and factors affecting them.....any help would be greatly appreciated and you'll be my saviour if I can get this done by Monday.....Thanks in advance .....John
Author jmarkie77
Forums Member
#2 | Posted: 14 Jan 2012 22:04
I THINK I'VE ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION IF IT HELPS

Support individuals with specific communication needs

Understand specific communication needs and factors affecting them

"Human beings are social animals. Our lives depend on other humans. Human infants are born unable to transport or care for themselves. Their survival depends on another human's efforts. We develop and learn about the world around us through the filter of other people. Our connections to others are key to not only our survival, but also to our happiness and the success of our careers."
The meeting communication needs of an infant (with his/her mother) assures his survival and happiness when he grow up meeting child's communication needs assures his development. As an adult his mental health depends on how far his communication needs are fulfilled.
Your own role and practice can impact on an individual who has specific communication needs as if you do not communicate with a person in a way that they understand they may feel left out and alone, hence they may suffer from additional mental health disabilities such as depression. When you do spend time with an individual, and do include them and communicate in a way that they understand then they will feel as if they are valued and part of society.

Features of th environment that may help or hinder communication include:

Visual Factors
Lighting conditions: light should be on the talker's face
Interfering objects: visual noise
Distance: no further than 6 feet from the talker
Talker's Face: face/mouth should not be covered
head movements
should be well-lit
no eating, chewing, smoking
moustaches and/or beards
Viewing Angle: best to be seated in front of the talker
Vision: use of corrective lenses if needed

Auditory Factors
Noise: air conditioners, fans, TV, radio, other talkers, etc.
Distance: no further than 6 feet from the talker
Echo: too many hard surfaces

Individual Factors
Fatigue, illness, stress: make concentration difficult
Inadequate ventilation: makes concentration difficult
Attitude: can affect success or failure
Preparation: can affect success or failure
Situation some situations are easier than others

Reasons an individual may use a form of communication that is not not based on a formal language system include the fact that they are not trained or taught in formal language systems, for example, if a person could not talk or write but could hear, and either you or they didn't know sign language then you could ask a question and say "press once for yes and twice for no", hence you are using a form of communication that is not based on a formal language system.

A range of communication methods and aids that support individuals to communicate include writing, reading, talking, sign language, body language, hearing aids and speech aids etc.

The potential effects on an individual of having unmet communication needs can include the fact that they feel isolated, depressed, etc. They may also develop mental health disabilities if they feel that they are not 'included' in society due to these unmet needs.

I would work in partnership with the individual and their carers, families, etc to identify the individuals specific communication needs by asking the people involved what the best action would be in order to gain the best outcome. I would also take part in care plans and write regular assessments involving everyone concerned whilst abiding to all laws and organisational policies. I would also implement and encourage the individual to implement, any strategies that had been agreed on in order allow the individual to communicate effectively. I would also access information and support about identifying and addressing communication needs from other colleagues and family members etc who were involved with the client. These would be accessed if I or the client etc wanted to bring themselves up to date with any actions that had been agreed by all or if the client etc wanted a review of their care plan.

I would prepare the environment for effective communication by ensuring that all areas were well lit, chairs were facing each other, people were facing each other, their is no noise and any other needs, eg, computer screens, hearing aids etc. were switched on in order for effective communication between the client and anyone invloved.
I would monitor the individuals responses before and after the interaction to check the effectiveness of the communication by checking for any nods of heads, asking people if they had understood the question, making sure people were taking notes etc.
I would adapt my own practice to improve communication support with the individual by allwoing the individual time to think before expecting them to answer. I would also ask them if there was anything they wanted me to do in order for them to communicate more effectively with them.

I would support the individual to develop communication methods that will help them to understand others and be understood by them by advising others on the best way the client communicates, and if neccessary acting as an in between person for the individual to communicate with others, as well as advising the client on the best way for them to communicate with others.
I would provide opportunities for the individual to communicate with others by taking time to provide all neccessary equipment. I would also take them out into society so that they can communicate themselves with people, for example, whilst shopping.
I would support others to be understood by the individual by agreed methods by advising them on the particular communication methods that the individual uses.
Author jmarkie77
Forums Member
#3 | Posted: 18 Jan 2012 01:52
Please use these for reference only - you are signing to say your work is your own and people work in different sectors of health and social care
Author jacqui bardi
Forums Member
#4 | Posted: 20 Jan 2013 17:35
2.3 explain how and when to access information and support about identifying and addressing specific communication needs . Can someone please help with this as i need to have this in by tomorrow
Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum W&P Care Training Forums / Health & Social Care level 2 & 3 Forum / Level 3 Unit 3029 Communication
Your Reply
BB code for the Bold Style  BB code for the Italic Style  BB Code for the Picture  BB code for the URL     :) ;) :-p :-(   

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.
 Forgot password?